I thought about doing an introductory post or something for the blog, but f**k it.
Beats, eats, art, Gemini musings, blah, blah... you get it.
Honestly, this is best way for me to be brutally honest and talk about things I care about while sharing it with the world. Between living in NYC and being from Westchester, meeting all kinds of people, being in the ever exciting music and acting industries, working a "day job", and traveling, I have a lot to say. A lot of people know me, but they have no idea who I really am. This is the common plight of the Gemini.
Now onto more important things: WHERE'S SHAKE070?
I'm not sure how I came across the young artist from Jersey, but about a year ago, I was browsing Soundcloud and stumbled across the song above. They recently just posted it again (as a way to keep momentum going probably), but I find this often doesn't matter, as a large number of people have probably never even heard it...
Let's point out a number of things:
- The stream of consciousness flow: of course, Drake made it popular, back when we listened to joints like Marvin's Room and said things like, "This guy just gets drunk and sad and slits his wrists while he records, ugh". I feel the influence here, and she definitely put her style on it: the melodies catch you, the words don't always rhyme, mixture of short and long notes... she reminds me a bit of Roy Woods in this regard
- Boss ass lady voice: That alto though. It has weight. You feel it in your soul. I have no idea how old she might be, even though she clearly has a baby face. Every once in a while, she throws a grungy quality onto voice to add some drama
- Content: Relationships. The World. The Good. The Bad. Different Production and Genres. Shake does it all
- (I believe Shake is openly gay as well, not that it matters, but lets stop playing like you didn't ask when you saw her picture) I'm just always happy for self expression. Its nice when people have opportunities they haven't had before, break open doors, change norms, all that. With Young M.A. back on top 10 with "OOOUUU", the first person I thought of was Shake070. Clearly she has a body of work- maybe all she needs is a hit? The fans clearly know she's up next... I'm just wondering why it hasn't happened yet
oh yea, that's important-
- BODY OF WORK- How many times have you come across somebody with two dope hits and you look for the rest, and because it doesn't exist you decide you can't be a FAN yet?
Artist has a hit record, goes on tour for 2 years off of the one record, builds up maaaaaaaaaad hype off of an album, album gets pushed into next decade. Album comes out and is trash. (won't name names lol)... there are many variations to this story, but you feel me at this point
SHAKE070 clearly has a body of work. For days
so, Shake... where you at? Music needs you.